Friday, March 2, 2012

Color & Value

Turns out my color theory class is more practice than theory, and has been seriously challenging my amateur painting skills. I have been working on value studies (value is the lightness or darkness of a color), these are simple paintings with gray scale markers on trace paper to illustrate how value can be used to create shape, focal point and mood in an interior. In conjunction, I have also been learning all about the various color schemes that can be applied in a design, such as monotone, monochromatic, analogous, and complementary.  

I should note that I did not create the basic drawings below, these were provided by the professor and my task was to use the gray scale markers to trace the rooms through the application of light and dark tones to get objects to appear, and later use color paint to apply the color scheme. 

Monotone master bedroom:

Basic drawing -
 


Value study - 


Monotone color study, using designers gouache paint.  A monotone color scheme is based on neutral colors such as gray, beige or cream and variations in tints and shades - 





























Monochromatic living room 

basic drawing -
























Value study - 
Monochrome color study. A monochromatic scheme is accomplished by using tints, tones, and shades of only one color in an interior.  In this study I chose a primary blue - 
I should mention that the flower wall paper idea was based on a requirement to incorporate a design from a Scandinavian textile into the interior.

No comments:

Post a Comment